Thursday 20 October 2011

Installing a 12v power socket in a Fiat Panda

I’ve just been getting a 2009 Fiat Panda 1.3 Multijet.  For some strange reason it doesn’t have a 12v socket for the likes of my sat nav or ipod.  Doing some reading on the Fiat forum it appears that this is not an unusual occurrence, and doesn’t necessarily follow any model / spec detail??

This is where the 12v socket should be in the Panda (Cam C902)

Very strange? Why Fiat would leave out a £20 fitting that seems to be standard in all cars is any ones guess, welcome to the world of Fiat I suppose.

Anyway, after lots of reading on various Fiat forums two things were clear to me; if the wiring loom had a connector under the central console for a 12v socket, AND you had a fuse sitting in position F85 then I think it’s safe to say that your only missing the 12v socket fitting. 

PLEASE NOTE - Some owners have reported having either the connector or the fuse, but not both and in these circumstances any upgrade didn't work!  Therefore please check before buying any parts.

A quick check showed I had both, phew!

In short…. If you have one of these….

And one of these…See the highlighted fuse in position F85 (Fuse box in the engine compartment )


Then you only need this…..

Fitting Instructions
Ok, here’s your fitting instructions, you need two small flatbed screwdrivers and less than half an hour of your time.

Fitting is quite simple, pop out the tray in the central console with some flat blade screwdrivers.

Fit the orange casing through the new console trim making sure you align the cap to the right orientation.

Fit the 12v socket through the orange casing (it will only go in one way)

Connect the wiring loom connector to the socket and test with a suitable appliance (sat nav).  Remember the socket only has power while the ignition is switch on.


 
Once you have confirmed power is getting to the socket switch off and snap the trim in to place.

Job done.

Original part number for the trim 0735441990
Original part number for the 12v socket 0735383175

I got my parts from ebay, but any parts department should be able to get them.

Good luck.

11 comments:

  1. I am going to try this once it stops raining!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the useful article. The previous owner of my Panda has installed a cigar lighter as you show here. It doesn't work. On looking in the engine bay fuse box, there is no F85! Do you have any suggestions?? Many thanks, Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott
      I think you've had it mate, I've not heard of anyone getting it to work without connector for a 12v socket, AND the F85 fuse 😢 I've got no other suggestions, a dealership may be able to help but I think it would be costly. Good luck if you try.
      Sean

      Delete
  3. Hi Sean,

    Could you tell me the partnumber of the cap that used to be in the centre console? I would like do get such a cap and modify it to fit a 12 volt plug and a usb plug (which would be routed to the stereo).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, sorry I'm not able to help, I upgraded the Panda a while ago. Do you think it might be something to do with voltage??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sean. Good no nonsense instruction. R.

    ReplyDelete